Well Dressed Feet
"The steps of a good man are ordered by the
LORD: and he delighteth in his way." Psalm 37:23
When I was little my father always had a thing about making sure our shoes looked good, especially for Sundays. We had a church pair of shoes, a school pair, and a pair of tennis shoes or play shoes. Other than that I think we always ran around barefooted or we'd slip on those little rubber boots to go out and play. We didn't have a Payless Shoe Store on every corner back then (not that I'm that aged) but we didn't get new shoes just because we wanted them. We had to outgrow them first so we had to take care of our shoes.
I can remember always getting into trouble about my shoes. We had a merry-go-round on our playground when I was in grade school in a little tiny place called, Essex, Ohio. That merry-go-round was one where we'd all hold on, run around the sides and then jump on. It's probably not even there anymore because all of the things we played on when I was little are deemed 'unsafe' nowadays. I don't know why, but I just loved to sit on that merry-go-round, daydream, and just drag my feet across that pavement and it did some awful things to the tips of my shoes. I can remember being told to "clean those shoes up" all the time.
There were two phases of shoes when I was little, Saddle shoes and Mary Janes. I can remember we always polished our Saddle shoes with that white polish. The liquid kind in the bottle. For the Mary Janes we used that old time remedy, a little dab of Vaseline on a rag and you rubbed really hard till they shone.
My father always seemed to be on us kids about our shoes, and I've grown to know he was right. Our whole appearance can be spoiled by our shoes. If you had on a $1000 dollar suit and had on dirty or scuffed shoes, your appearance wouldn't be too tidy. It wouldn't matter how much you paid for your suit, people's eyes would be drawn to your feet. It makes a difference that they are tidy and well kept.
Shoes are important because our feet are important. Our feet take us places and where we put our feet determines what direction we'll go in. What we wear on our 'spiritual' feet is important too. How we walk and how our steps are ordered will have an impact on us and those around us. Sometimes we need to be a little more selective on what shoes we find ourselves wearing as a Christian.
What Kind of Shoe Fits You?
*If you ordered the "Do You Make Need a Makeover" Survey, these are the same shoes under 'What Kind of Shoe Fits You' on page 9 of that booklet.
- Flats. Do you find yourself flat in your Christian life? Do you need to get yourself motivated?
It's so easy to find ourselves like that, just moving along without much life to us. Sometimes we need to just get ourselves energized and get excited about living the Christian life.
"Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;and uphold me
with thy free spirit."
- Loafers. Do you find yourself not doing anything for Christ? Are you using your talents for His glory? Perhaps you've never gotten involved or you've been burned out and just haven't participated in things like you used to. Is there something you can do to use your gifts and talents for the Lord? Teaching a Sunday School class, preparing meals for the sick, or just mentoring another woman? We all have to be active in order for the body of Christ to work effectively.
"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ."
1 Corinthians 12:12
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only..."
- Pumps. Do you find yourself pumping people up? Are you an encourager?
What a great pair of shoes to wear. We all have times when we need encouragement so think how important it is to give it as well as receive it.
"Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do." 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- Tennis Shoes. Do you find yourself running from your problems? Sometimes some of us want to do this. We hope if we just don't think about our problems, they'll just go away. If we'd just lean on God's strength a little more, we'd be able to better handle things that comes into our lives.
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- Boots. Do you find yourself walking all over people and only doing things your way? It's sometimes so easy for some of us to do. We forget to be sensitive to others. I think if we'd be a little more loving and tenderhearted we'd tend to stop 'walking' this way.
"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving
one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. "Ephesians 4:32
- Waders, Do you find yourself just floating by? Are you accomplishing anything for Christ? It's so easy to get complacent about things. We get in a rut in our Christian lives and find ourselves just doing the minimum. Our prayer life and Bible reading becomes slim. Our church attendance becomes inconsistent. We just barely float by in our relationship with the Lord.
"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord,
and not unto men;"
- Slip Ons. Do you find yourself slipping on Christianity just for church and hanging it up till the next time? Do people really know you're a Christian? If we aren't living for Christ throughout the week, how can we ever have the witness God intended us to have?
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16
- Sandals. Do you find yourself too comfortable with your Christian life? Could you be doing more for Christ? Sometimes it's easy to get comfortable with what we're doing and not really do all that we have the potential and ability to do. We ought to take hold of life and live it the way God intended. We oughtn't be satisfied with being a mediocre Christian but remember Who we are living for.
"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne
- Slippers. Do you find yourself causing others to slip and stumble? Are you aware of your actions? Although we are given Christian liberties, we can't just live life like we want. We have to be aware that others are watching us and we need to set a good example.
"Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock
or an occasion to fall in his brother's way." Romans 14:13
- Work Shoes. Do you find yourself working and doing all you can do for God's glory? It all boils down to serving Christ and following Him. If we are following Him and obeying His Word we will bear much fruit for Him.
"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Matthew 16:24.
Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. John 15:8
I know I don't always put on the right pair of shoes but I hope I can improve at wearing the type of shoes that are well fitting of a Christian woman. The kind of style that enhances my walk with the Lord. If not, I know it will affect my whole appearance as a Christian.So, how well dressed are your feet?
Copyright ©2003 Julia Bettencourt
Scripture References are from the King James Version.
Share This Page:
You are not permitted to reprint this material online or publish it in any way online or off. Only Publishing Exceptions: Individual churches may print the material in off-line newsletters and church bulletins. By using this website, you are binding yourself to these terms.
Best Way to Save These Ideas: Copy and paste into Word (or your document program) retaining copyright info. Adjust your fonts and print. Most of the pages on the website are too long to print out correctly by printing directly from online.Related Pages:
Order My Steps (Shoe) Womens MinistryTheme
Shoe Theme Crafts and Ideas
What Not To Wear (Fashion) Womens Ministry Theme
More Devotionals by Julia